Monday, October 31, 2005

Day 3 Commute

Road the bike in this morning. Woke up at 6:20, took the trash out, got dressed and hopped on my road bike, a late 70s Masi built in Milan. It is like riding butter.

Headed down Great Falls St., turned onto the W&OD Trail, cut a left onto the Nelly Custis Trail along I-66 and followed it into Rosslyn, Virginia. Crossed the Key Bridge, down M Street through Georgetown, around Washington Circle (and GWU Hospital), down Pennsylvania Ave. to H Street.

Total Time Door to Door 59:58:53

Time above zone (>145 bpm) 0:46:12
Time in zone (120-145 bpm) 0:13:22
Time below zone (<120 bpm) 0:00:25

Average Heart Rate 154 bpm
Maximum Heart Rate 180 bpm
Total calories burned 548


Impressions: Just looking at the numbers above I was initially scared I put in too much of a workout (and was REALLY out of shape) however as my usual target on a bike is between 150-160 bpm and I had forgotten to adjust the heart rate monitor, I presume I did a lot better than I would have hoped with an Avg HR of 154 bpm.

I use a db500 Heart Rate Monitor that I picked up at Performance Bike Shops cheap. It seems to work fine, but the one annoyance I have with it is the difficulty in setting target zones (or setting any number, you can ONLY scroll up which means if you missed your mark you need to cycle through the entire thing again). Its not a fatal flaw, but it does become an annoyance when switching activities and target zones (I should point out that its programmed to record the workout for a variety of activities differently, so perhaps the need to adjust target zones isn't really needed. Still . . . . )


Haven't had breakfast yet, but I plan on a bowl of oatmeal, cold and raw, with whole milk. Mmm Mmm Mmm. Also, drank a bottle of Ice Water while riding in.